Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Reward Is in the Doing

This month's platelet donation went reasonably well. Two months ago I was perfect, didn't beep once. Last month was awful. Couldn't go more than two minutes (max!) without setting off the machine.

This time, once the RN adjusted the draw down to a reasonable level (when she saw how high my platelet count was she got excited and when I agreed to do a double she set the draw high enough to finish in the same amount of time as a regular session--bad idea), I only beeped maybe every five minutes or so. Not great, but not bad, either.

The best part is, they give me a pointy stick with which I can poke the machine to reset it. The one I use has one fist-sized and maybe eight more mini skulls impaled on it. So when the machine beeps and shuts down because my vein isn't allowing the needle to suck as fast as it wants, I just reach across my body and the bulk of the contraption and poke it right in the reset button. So there!

It's very satisfying. The T-shirts, apple juice and cookies are nice, but nothing beats a pointy stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment