Friday, January 13, 2012

Au Revoir, Pingouin Qui Attend

The giant "penguin" waiter is no longer standing by the Christmas tree. It's been returned to my brother's room until next year.

I put "penguin" in quotes because I believe that's what it is supposed to be although the bill resembles a duck's and it's "crest" (or whatever that is) is swept back down its neck so it looks more like a 50s greaser wood duck except for the lack of cigarettes and attitude.

It is over three feet tall and made of wood, mostly. Its body colors are penguiny black and white under a red waistcoat type of jacket (except with tails) trimmed in black around the pocket, and it wears a black bow tie. Its right flipper (definitely not a wing) presents a metal tray on which, during the holidays, are placed candy, cookies and other treats for the taking. The rest of the year, in my brother's room, it tends to hold spare change and random pocket findings.

What exactly this creature has to do with Christmas escapes me. Nevertheless, I will miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment