Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Portent of Sounds To Come

Our warm winter (89F at the end of February) may presage a loud summer.

Last night I was sitting at the computer with the window open (despite the infrequent cloudbursts and occasional distant lightning) when I heard a loud *THUNK* on the window screen. Now, the cat knows which room is mine and will sometimes pound on the screen and complain if she thinks she's being ignored or wants something. So I glanced around behind my CRT prepared to shoo her away.

It wasn't the cat. It was a frog, pale green, almost white on the belly (which was the part presented to me), a little more than 2" long head to butt. It hung on the screen for a few minutes, looking as comfortable as if it was sitting flat on the ground, before launching itself back into the darkness.

Last year we had a bullfrog chorus most of late summer in the treeline. If the frogs are already out in February, I can only imagine how long and loud this year's concert might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment