Thursday, December 15, 2011

And All the Trimmings

My brother has decided the tree is decorated enough. He has spent the last two days cursing under his breath while carefully hanging the extremely expensive German blown-glass ornaments he has collected over the years. Many were in the $40 - $75 range and several over $100 when he bought them. Most, if not all, are limited editions, some signed by the designers. And he wonders why I don't want to help hang them.

I noticed several different ones this year. They're not "new," my brother has enough to trim at least three trees. (He had enough to trim four until a psychotic, fortunately ex-, girlfriend destroyed a couple of boxes worth in a fit of rage. Very expensive dust, but worth it to be rid of her.) When I first moved down here the working roller coaster ornament freaked me out every time we turned the tree on. This year he added the miniature electric train set ornament with two working trains on overlapping tracks (all in a space about 3" x 2"). It makes train noises when it first starts up but I can live with those.

Also "new" this year are a moon-faced Santa ornament, several Euro-type Santas (tall and thin), and a Victorian house. The classic (Laurel and Hardy) and Disney (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs) movie ornaments are all back again. I recognize most of the others, as well. All the ornaments are a little large for the tree. They need more space between the branches in order to hang properly.

Nevertheless, we're looking good, seasonally speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment