Friday, February 4, 2011

Reading Redux

I got a little ambitious, apparently, in my choices for Mom's reading. The last book I took out from the library for her was McCall Smith's Double Comfort Safari Club. She didn't like that at all. She claimed it was because she'd read it several years before and didn't like it then but the copyright is 2010 so that's not the case. I think she just couldn't cope with the foreign names.

Mom has developed a kind of faux deja vu. She frequently thinks she's seen or read things before that are just not possible: live sporting events, newly published books, etc. When I point out the temporal paradoxes, she accuses me of not believing her. Which is true.

While I try to let a lot of things slide, for some reason this one gets to me. Forgetting words, mixing up names, even an increasingly random sense of time are all OK. For some reason this deja vu thing seems a more ominous indicator of the path she is on. Since it's not going to change for the better, I just need to learn to let it go, too.

I'll get her a new mystery set in England or the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment