Friday, July 27, 2012

Successfully Not Giving A Damn

The opening ceremonies are today. The competition has already begun. The games will continue non-stop over the next two weeks. The whole world is watching.

Meh.

The whole world minus me.

Actually, I'm sure there are others. Others who are not enthralled by the corporate hype, the overblown production values, the selective showcasing of only those events where "we" are competitive, the lovingly crafted heart-rending spiritually redemptive back stories. I can't be the only one.

I was living in Salt Lake during the 2002 Winter Olympics and stayed away then, too. The only good things to come out of them then were the plaza fountain and a loosening of the moronic liquor laws by officials embarrassed to be perceived, correctly, as hopelessly straitlaced rubes by the sophisticated wine-swilling, beer-chugging Europeans. My sympathies go out to all the Londoners who can't get away.

In stead, I shall be watching my baseball team continue to under perform in its season long struggle to qualify for a wild-card slot. Go Rays!

No comments:

Post a Comment