Saturday, May 14, 2011

Vicarious Expertise

Well, it seems my many years of listening to "Car Talk" have finally paid off.

My brother has been having semi-regular problems with his "new" used truck usually ending with me driving out to wherever he is stranded to deliver a jug of gasoline. (In spite of the fact that I paid for a Carfax report on a vehicle he was looking at, he went and bought a completely different one without doing any serious research on it. Of the numerous relatively small annoyances happening with this truck, one is the unworking fuel gauge.)

This last time the truck died on him he claimed to have put fuel in it just recently. I told him, based on the symptoms and my NPR automotive experience (and from the sound of the starter grinding) that I thought it was either vapor lock or a dead/dying fuel pump. I had also suggested the fuel pump the last time it happened. He tried starting it with the gas cap off to no avail.

The next morning he took it to the shop and spent all day there as they had to cut bolts away to lower the gas tank and replace the fuel pump.

Called it!!!

Thanks, Tom 'n' Ray!

No comments:

Post a Comment