Wednesday, March 2, 2011

No Fairy Tales, Either

Mom had requested that I not get any more books for her and for the last week or so she has limited herself to magazines (Smithsonian and National Geographic) and catalogs. Yesterday she went and picked a book out of the bookshelf. It was the Arabian Nights, a condensed version of the Thousand Nights and a Night. It's not a large type book but neither was the other one she'd picked up recently.

When I went to give her her eye drops that evening she put the book down and exclaimed, "This is the worst story ever. If it doesn't get better soon I just may not finish it." I asked what was wrong with it.

She said, "They promised to kill this man if he doesn't get married in time." I'm not at all sure which story that is.

This morning she was reading it again and, again, when I went for the eye drops she said, "This is awful." Then she looked up at me and said, "Would you get me a book from the library?"

I'll stay away from Alexander McCall Smith this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment