Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Devil Made Him Do It

I was reading the dead-tree news in the library the other day (one of the benefits of living in a town/county full of geezers is that enough of them are technophobic traditionalists to support a viable old-fashioned news paper) when someone stopped just beside my chair and held something out to me.

I looked up to see an older gentleman, thinning gray hair slightly longish and in need of a comb, tallish, bundled in an old black quilted polyester ski jacket (it's currently 90F (32C) outside). He was offering me a small, oblong pamphlet with a dull red and black cover. He said nothing. I shook my head, no. He moved on.

It was a Chick tract!

I haven't seen one of those in years and I've never seen a human being actually distributing any although they must since I can't imagine how they get onto washroom counters and bus terminal seats otherwise.

I believe Jack Chick is still alive. If so, considering his anti-Catholicism and special feelings toward the Society of Jesus the thought of a Jesuit Pope must be driving him (even further) over the edge. At least the old guy wandering around our library was harmless enough. I don't know if he managed to give away any of  his paranoid, hate-filled comic books, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment