Monday, October 6, 2014

The Wheel of Justice Begins Its Slow Turning


My brother spent the morning in court.

Today was the first scheduled trial date for the guy accused of breaking into my brother's truck and stealing his wallet. In the end, my brother never saw the guy and, apparently, the trial was continued to another day.

The alleged perp remains in jail due to the fact the court won't consider bail because he has a long list of prior convictions and was already out on parole when he was arrested for using my brother's card to buy some cigarettes. He's nineteen years old and looking at two more felony charges now. If he's convicted it's going to be a long time before he's out walking around again.

He apparently had an accomplice, as well, that my brother just found out about and who may have been the one to physically remove the wallet. That one is only fifteen years old and, unlike the first guy, will be charged as a minor, not that it makes much difference since he's been in juvie detention in the next county over for the last 21 days on other charges, already.

I hope I'm wrong but neither one of these winners seems capable of learning from experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment