Friday, July 18, 2014

Consequences and Repercussions


I failed to qualify to donate blood/platelets for the first time, ever, yesterday. My red blood cell count was too low. We tested it twice to be sure.

And then we all suddenly remembered that last time they took a unit of red cells (by accident) along with the platelets and, of course, it takes time for the red cells to be replaced which is why whole blood donors are limited to once every eight weeks and platelet donors can give as often as every other week. So they got the unit of whole blood but now they've lost the unit of platelets.

And I was disqualified. They had to dismantle all the tubing and bags and stuff from the machine (since no one else was scheduled for platelets after me). I hung around for a few minutes and we discussed cats and mango recipes and then I took a cookie for my troubles and went home again.

My next scheduled appointment is right at the eight-week window so I should be good to go by then.


No comments:

Post a Comment