Monday, July 25, 2011

The Sharper Side of Mom

I fear I sometimes give the impression that Mom isn't "there" as much as she is. True, she isn't anywhere near as sharp as she used to be, but two incidents over the weekend show the ol' girl's still got it hidden away somewhere.

I noticed her going into the kitchen and asked her what she wanted. "Just a cup of coffee," she said. Once again, she had left her walker at the kitchen entrance and was slowly crabbing her way along the counter. "Well," said I, "You go back to your walker and head on into the living room. I'll get your coffee and bring it out to you. And I bet I'll get there before you do." She looked at me and said, "I'm sure you will. Nowadays everything happens faster than I do."

This morning she received a catalog addressed to her in the mail. She studied it for a minute and said, "Oh look. It has my name on it." I started to say, yes it does but she continued: "Current Occupant."

No comments:

Post a Comment