Thursday, August 15, 2013

What We Have Here Is a Failure to Mitigate


(A Fairly Typical Juncture of Two Canals)
I have noticed on certain trips about town, when crossing over some of our numerous canals, that the water level on one side (the inland, or "upstream," side specifically although they are all pretty far from either the river or the gulf) is significantly higher than the other. One in particular is so high it completely covers the culverts meaning any increase in water level is going to flood that area.
(Hmmm . . . Potentially Blockage Inducing Flotsam, There)

My assumption is the openings under the bridges I am crossing have been blocked by flotsam of unknown provenance. I do not know if the people living in the immediate vicinity of these choke points have noticed or notified the city. I do know I have seen no one doing anything about it.

The water is already up to the lip of the seawall in many places.

And look! It's raining. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment